Friday, February 5, 2010

Xinh Chao Vietnam!


After a few weeks’ worth of waiting, I finally landed in the land of Vietnam. The place is not much different from the Philippines, but Tita Lani doesn’t think so. (haha!) Busy streets. Sidewalk vendors. It’s nearly the same. But the ambiance is different, I for one considers the city of Ho Chi Minh like that of a cross-over between Pasay and Manila.

First impression? I was actually expecting more of a rural type of surroundings, but the city is actually a little bit urban than rural. Traffic is really bad! The weather is just the same back in the PI (Philippine Islands).

After carrying 31 kilos of baggages, I found some abrasions on my right shoulder caused by my heavy hand-carry(6 kilos on my shoulder!). Anyway, as Tita Lani and I got in her place in Nguyen Dinh Chin, Tita Coco, Tita Ana and Mama Vek dropped by and welcomed me. Mama Vek gave me a million Dong (around 3000 pesos) for my allowance. Tita Coco treated us out for dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

I’m not good with chopsticks that’s why I was nervous about eating there at first, but Quyen, their Vietnamese friend, was kind enough to ask for a spoon and fork for me. I loved the mango salad with scallops! Heavenly..We ate soft-shell crabs, pancit with shrimps and steamed fish. The crabs were delicious and you can actually eat their shells.

The next day, Tita Lani gave me an errand to do. She gave me an address of the Vietcom Bank, where I will give some documents to a certain Mr. Tuan. She has to go to work that’s why I went there alone. The experience of going out alone in a non-english city was really scary for me. But luckily, I was able to accomplish this with the help, of course, of Tita Lani.

When i got home, I had an early lunch of pancit and pizza. I spent the rest of the day going online and watching tv. When Tita got home from work, we went out to meet with Tita Ralph. We had dinner at Highlands Coffee (yes, they serve rice dishes and a lot more). After that, we went to the Citimart for some grocery items. I bought 2 green mangoes to satisfy my loneliness for the next day.

Tita gave another errand for the next day. I will be paying her phone bills this time.

Now, I should be sleeping. The day’s over and I need to rest now.

No comments:

Post a Comment