Friday, February 5, 2010

Singapore-la!

I have loved traveling abroad since the first time I was given an opportunity to board on a plane and go to a place where people barely understands me. That first time, I went to Singapore. It was October of 2007. The travel could have been happier if I were with my friends, but no. I went on a study tour with other students from other universities. It was fun and educational, but I wasn’t able to really “tour” the hotspots of Singapore. During my week of stay there, I have come to meet a lot of new people, created new discoveries and was amazed at how progressive that country is. Their food is very much close to the Chinese; ducks, noodles and other poultry goods. But they also serve sea foods like crabs, shrimps and even octopus. There was even a food court that serves frog porridge.

Singapore is a highly industrial country. The place spells out cleanliness and order. The only place where I experienced a traffic jam is when we went to buy our “pasalubong”. Luckily, with my uncle residing there, I got the opportunity to ride their MRT, a double-decked bus and a cab, of course. There are so many things to discuss about Singapore, but I will simply rate the five things that I will never forget about this country.

#5 FOOD COURTS

Just like what I said, Singapore spells out cleanliness and that’s what I really liked about their open air food courts. Think of the Fiesta Market in Market! Market! But these places are less cluttered and the food is served with a huge portion. A simple meal already contains a side dish of vegetables (usually bean sprouts), asteamy rice and your choice of meat or fish. At the middle of all the tables and chairs is a small stall of fresh fruits that you can buy sliced and ready to eat.

Additional Info: you can reserve a table or a seat by just leaving a pack of tissue or cigarette on the table and no one will ever dare to steal that table.

#4 MUSTAFA MARKET

outside Mustafa Market

When I asked my uncle about the best place to buy pasalubong, he said Mustafa Market will do. So on our free time, I invited Kuya Ryan and Ate Rose to this place. More than just the stuff that you can buy here, what’s memorable for me is the ambiance of the place. Of course, being ushered into different buildings and universities and all, we were shocked with the crowd that welcomed us at this market place. For me, it’s more like the 168 mall in Divisoria. As its name implies, this place is crowded mostly with Indians. That kind of says it all. :)

Additional Info: it’s the best place to buy gadgets. They sell cheap and trusty gadgets and other techno stuff out there.

# GEYLANG STREET

one of the hotels at Geylang..

We have always envisioned Singapore as a progressive country. From an outsider’s point of view, this country is close to perfection. That’s why I will never forget this street. Geylang St. is the red flag district of Singapore and I have been there. The street is lined up with cheap hotels and motels. Ladies of different ages, styles and faces line up as well from daylight to night time. There was even one time when I saw a cute chinita wearing a short skirt and a see-through top in broad daylight. Good thing she has her umbrella to cover her up. (pun intended) Bottomline is, behind every pretty face is a scar, and even if you try to hide it, some will always find a way to take a peek on it. The other side of Singapore.

#2 MERLION/UNIVERSITIES

"the lounge area" at NTU

one of the school buildings at NUS

I was in Singapore for a study tour in Media Relations that is why we were invited in two universities; Nanyang Technological University and National University of Singapore. These two universities wowed me. With their high-class facilities and impressive faculty, it made me want to study there.

with my uncle

with the mini merlion.

And what is a Singapore trip without a visit to the Merlion Park? The Merlion is one of the famous landmarks of this country. Just behind the huge statue is a miniature version of it. A trip to Singapore without a picture with the Merlion is like a day without brushing your teeth. Eew.

#1 STRICT POLICIES

BEWARE!

I was scared on my first day in Singapore. I was afraid to get caught on doing something illegal for them. There is a lot of what-not-to-do in this country and that tops my list. No chewing of gums. No drinking or eating while aboard a public transportation. No spitting on the street. No finger pointing. Lastly, no smokeing. (that’s how they spell it) This just proves that everything comes with a price. Singapore-la!

My travel in Singapore isn’t that satisfying. I wanted to go back and take the “tourists’ tour” this time. I’ll definitely wait for that day. Or days. Or weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment