Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stormy, stormy night

It was not too long ago when tropical storm Milenyo hit the country. And who can ever forget Ondoy?

The Philippines, as being exposed into the open sea that’s the Pacific, can already be considered a typhoon capital in the world. (exaggerating here) when Milenyo hit the country, I was at home that time waiting for the PLDT men to connect our DSL line. The two men were stranded for a while in our house while they try to concoct a plan on how to brave the raging wind and flying debris everywhere. Luckily, none of our properties were damaged. Just a couple of flying trash caught our front yard and the rest is fine. But what struck us was the electricity was out for at least a month. There was also a water shortage in our community and in other places. The classes were suspended for a whole week too. Tons of billboards and different signage were scattered on every highway and trees were uprooted.

Then came last year, when a 9-hour non-stop rainfall from tropical storm Ondoy devastated Metro Manila. I can plainly remember that it was a Saturday when the “tragedy” struck us. The overnight rain was still on when I woke up that morning. The electricity went out at around 2pm then and reports of stranded commuters were being flashed on the TV. It was later at 11pm when the electricity came back. When I switched on the TV, the first scene that caught me was a flooded area where only the roofs were visible. Then I heard it for the first time, Metro Manila has almost drowned from the flood coming from the heavy rainfall of Ondoy. It was a tragic sight. People on top of their houses asking for help, children braving their way out of a flooded house, damaged properties everywhere. It was a nightmare. And for the second time, we were lucky that we’re not flooded at all. The electricity outage was our only issue, which only lasted for a whole day, while the others were already homeless.

And now, the first tropical typhoon that hit the Philippines this year has come, Basyang. Though it did not possess the heavy rainfall of Ondoy, it did possess the mighty gusts of wind as Milenyo did, or even more. Our little mangga tree in our front yard was cut and mama’s prized orchids were toppled. The only difference now is that I’m not home. As a regular working employee, I went to work amidst the bad weather. The whole building now relies to the support of a generator, as the electricity outage is Luzon-wide. Now, I struggle to think on how long this will last. I hope sooner than what I expect.

Just recently, I remember complaining about the hot weather, and now, I can’t say that I’m not complaining either. Global warming. Don’t say that you weren’t warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment