Monday, June 6, 2011

MOCHI MOCHI Anone!

Traditional mochi is a Japanese rice cake made with glutinous rice. Polished glutinous rice is washed then cooked, after which, it’s pounded to make the pliable, moldable mochi. A special kind of mochi called daifuku has various sweet fillings, like anko (red bean paste). It is then rolled into a soft ball, then dusted with cornstarch so they won’t stick. 

 I have been a fan of mochi since I started obsessing with froyos (frozen yogurt). I would always have almond mochi or strawberry mochi as topping for my froyo. It was just recently that I started to eat the real thing. I was in Binondo, Manila when I first saw a rack full of flavored mochi goodness! I started with ube, mocha and banana at first. Then with the pandan and chocolate varieties. Later on, melon and choco-orange mochis were also at hand at the Eng Bee Tin shop. I was in love with the ube and chocolate mochi.

I also got to try Polland's own version of mochi and it was ok too. My bestfriend Mia, who was also a fan of the chewy goodness that's mochi, always gets a pack or two from me when she was still working in Makati. But now that she's been out there in QC, I buy mochi only for me. I have also tried their mochipia, which is a genius combination of mochi and the all-time favorite hopia.

 My boss knew of my obsession with mochi, and so from her recent trip to Taiwan, she brought me this:

I can't wait to try this!
*giggles*

No comments:

Post a Comment