Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA: Not your typical children's book

Andrei had a school project where they were to do a book review of any John Newberry book. I was the one who searched bookstores after bookstores just to look for these books, but I had a hard time. Luckily, a book assistant at the Powerbooks in Glorietta REALLY knows her books and told me that John Newberry was not an author, but an award-giving institution. It recognizes children's books by giving it a Gold or Silver medal.

So this lady showed me the books with the John Newberry stamp of approval. These are books that ranges from the mundane to the surreal. Since my brother was not much of a reader, I chose a book that would somehow interest him to read and so that I will not be forced to do the book review too. The book that I chose was the Bridge to Terabithia. I know that it has been adapted to a film before and if Andrei would really not want to read the book, we can just watch the movie.



But Andrei finished the book, and even did the review all by himself, though he asked for little grammar checks here and there. He said that it "caught his heart" and that "true love flows". So I got curious, what kept my not-so reader brother to actually attach himself emotionally to this story? So yes, I read the book.

At first, it was all about normal issues that kids go through. Peer pressure, family issues and dealing with the opposite sex who wants to be friends with you.

Jess was a simple boy who only dreams to be the fastest runner in their school. But all that vanished when a newbie beat all of the boys as the fastest kid in school. What makes it more annoying to him is that this kid was a girl, Leslie. But their differences was not much of an issue as they developed an unlikely friendship. A friendship that both helped them to conquer their fears and widen their imagination.



They built the kingdom of Terabithia and became rulers, king and queen. On Christmas day, Leslie gave Jess an art set with paints and brushes, as he dreams of becoming an artist someday. Jess on the other hand gave Leslie a dog they named Prince Terrien or PT for short. PT was honored as the guardian and court jester of Terabithia.

Together, Leslie and Jess conquered the enemies of Terabithia as they face their personal enemies at school. But one tragedy changed all there is between them. Leslie died when she was trying to reach Terabithia alone. Jess has been invited by their music teacher at an art gallery in Washington. It was hard for Jess to accept this reality but then he realized that Leslie taught him that fears are to be conquered and life must go on despite difficulties.

In his attempt to continue ruling Terabithia, he brought her sister May Belle and she became the new queen of his and Leslie's kingdom, thus passing on the legacy that Leslie gave him.

I have been wanting to read a book that will thug my heart just like what The Lovely Bones did to me. I never thought that I will get this from a children's book. I was on the verge of crying when Leslie died and my heart was crushed with Jess' reactions to it.

I am still lost for words on what to say about how this book affected me. I just hope that people, no matter what their age is, would continue to open their minds into a whole new world of fantasy.

There are a lot of things that are needed to cite from this book but I suggest that it is always better that you try to read it.

As for me, I am glad that my brother enjoyed READING A BOOK. I've always prodded them to read the Harry Potter series since they enjoyed the movies. To read a book is another experience from watching a movie. It lets your imagination run wild and play your own movie inside your head.

I'm a happy sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment