Friday, September 23, 2011

MOGWAI: From mocktails to growing pains.


It was at a far corner in Cubao X with a little signage overhead like that of an old cinema house. The first time I saw it, I was welcomed with warm orange lights and messy interiors. We sat at the far corner with the sofa and a treasure chest as the table. After long, dreadful, hectic weeks, we were officially graduating students. We were just a group of friends, unsure of the future, who wanted to take refuge from the hustle and bustle of the past four years.

I don’t drink and smoke, so I was freakishly scared on what to do at a “bar”. I haven’t even heard of mocktails or semi-beers. But then Paula suggested ordering Infinite for the not-so drinkers. I actually liked it. The alcohol content was a joke and it leaves a ghastly shade of red, blue or orange (or a mixture of those colors, depending on your chosen drink) in your tongue. I swear I feel like a rockstar that time.

The food were served a bit late, but were a fun treat which sealed the deal. The mash potatoes where just so good and the potato chips were pretty decent enough to eat.

That night was EPIC. The pictures we took stood the test of time and through the painful years after college, we knew we can always go back to each others hugs and warmth. On certain days, it’s also a collection of “we-used-to-be-this-carefree” photos.

After that night, I knew that I was leaving college. That momentous first drop of “mocktail” in my mouth seemed surreal. I felt like a grown up.

The next time we were there was on the day after graduation. We were a smaller group, unlike the last time. I can’t even remember what went there. All I remember is that we were all dead tired from our graduation parties. That day was our gunshot to race for employment, maturity and growing pains.

Just a couple of months from our graduation, we saw each other again and gathered at the same place with new stories of struggles, complaints and achievements. It was my birthday and was later on the last time I set foot in Mogwai. That night was EPIC too. It was an emotional night, atleast for me. Growing pains.

We weren’t just dealing with professors but bosses, classmates to officemates, peer pressures to parental pressures. We were grown ups, or so we thought.

We weren’t just gushing on crushes, but also cherishing relationships and nursing broken hearts. That night, amidst those orange bright lights and shots of tequila, we tried to outgrow each other. And painfully so, it broke us apart…for some time.

And now that we’re all ok and ready to visit back Mogwai, Mogwai gave up on us. It’s like telling me to “Grow up now! I’ve seen enough.”

I admit.

I have only been to Mogwai thrice. That’s not really much to those who literally spent their days (mostly nights) to the goddamn spot in Cubao X, but those three occasions have been very special to me.

Three important days of my life shared with bright orange lights and messy chairs and “mocktails”.

Three important lessons of growing up, realizing the future and maturity.

Cheers Mogwai!
For what it’s worth, thanks for listening to our woes and corny jokes and childish antics.
We will miss you.

We will always be your Mogwai babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment